Re: Accidental power-out / LILO / mount @ boot?

> ALSO - LILO, anyone?

Yeah..

> I can't for the life of me figure out how to get lilo going, even
> though I think I've read almost everything there is (does this mean
> I'm too stupid for linux?)... anyway, my disk setup is as below:
>
> /dev/hda1     boot     primary     dos fat 16 (big)     2 GB	(C: drive
> in windows) /dev/hda2                 primary     dos fat 16
>   1 GB          (E: drive in windows) /dev/hda3
> primary     linux ext2              1 GB         linux partition

What you need is to edit lilo.conf file, which is in /etc
Here is how mine looks:

boot = /dev/hda
root = /dev/hdb2
install = /boot/boot.b
map = /boot/map
vga = normal
read-only
default = linux

image = /vmlinuz
label = Debian
alias = linux

image = /boot/vmlinbackup
label = backup

other = /dev/hda1
label = MS
table = /dev/hda

Yours would look something like this: ( considering you want to have Linux
boot as a default)

boot = /dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
read-only
default-linux

image=/vmlinuz
label=Debian
alias=linux

other=/dev/hda1
label=MS
table=/dev/hda

Then save it, and run
lilo /etc/lilo.conf

Then reboot, and have a rescue disk ready just in case.

And yes. To mount /hda1 and /hda2 what you need to do is edit
/etc/fstab, adding 2 lines to it:
/dev/hda1 mountpoint1 msdos rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 mountpoint2 msdos rw 0 0
This will automaticly mount partitions at the bootup.

If your kernel supports vfat, use vfat instead of msdos. That way you will
have long filename support.

mountpoint1 and mountpoint2 are directories, which you need to create
before editing fstab.

HTH,
Andrew