Re: install slink from Inet

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Ben Bucksch wrote:

> the file
> dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/2.1.0_1998-10-31/linux
> is missing. What should I do to install slink from Inet?
>
> Can I also use the hamm base system with the packages of slink? And later
> update to the slink base?

Ben,
   I'm not quite sure what file you are looking for.  The install images
are the resc* and drv* files.  You also need the base* file accessable,
either as the full tarball on a harddrive or zip, or as the split up files
that can be written to a disk.  With that said, the resc disk is not ready
in the above directory (unless my mirror is out of date).  You can get the
latest from ftp://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/Incoming/ (warning, you will
have to look through a lot of files).  I have heard one report that the
drivers disks wasn't working properly (and a verification was also made).

   To answer you second question, you can install hamm and upgrade to
slink.  Doing this will end up replacing everything from the install
(except the configs and other necessary stuff).  Therefore, there is no
reason to try to "update to the slink base", it's already been done.

HTH,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
|  Sometimes you have to release software with bugs. - MS Recruiter  |