Re: new libc6 problem?

"J.H.M. Dassen \(Ray\)" <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
| On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 16:48:06 -0600, Evan Van Dyke wrote:
| > Hrrm, I just ran update from w/in dselect, and the new version of libc6
| > conflicts with dpkg... and hence pulls out lots of needed utils including
| > dpkg...  anyone know what's up?
|
| More aftermath of the __register_frame_info problem. Joel Klecker has done
| an NMU of libc6 (which is now installed in the master archive and can be
| expected to be propagated to the mirrors soon) which fixes its dependencies
| to conflict with the libraries that were compiled with the broken version,
| rather than the binaries broken by the problem.
|
| I suggest postponing updating until that libc6 has hit your mirror.

Which version of libc? I mirror directly off of ftp.debian.org and
with the version there I still have the same problem. After just a
couple of invocations of "apt-get upgrade" I now get:

% apt-get upgrade
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have
unmet dependencies:
  libc6: Conflicts:dpkg
E: Internal Error, AllUpgrade broke stuff

How do I fix this?

Installed versions:

dpkg: 1.4.0.23.2
libc6: 2.0.7u-7

When I try to install the new version of dpkg I get:

% dpkg -i dpkg_1.4.0.31.deb
dpkg: regarding dpkg_1.4.0.31.deb containing dpkg:
 libc6 conflicts with dpkg (= 1.4.0.31)
  dpkg (version 1.4.0.31) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing dpkg_1.4.0.31.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing dpkg
 dpkg_1.4.0.31.deb

So, I'm stuck! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Gary