Re: Can't boot with new kernel

Erik Maxwell wrote:
  >I recompiled my kernel to enable some different filesystems and now
  >whenever I boot xdm starts up but my monitor doesn't show anything.  It
  >just sits there sounding like someone keeps pushing the degauss button.
  >I tried to reboot from a repair floppy, but it still loads all the rc.x
  >stuff and the same thing happens.  I think if I could reboot without firing
  >the rc.x scripts, I could fix the problem.
  >
  >My questions are:
  >
  >	1.  How can I reboot without running the rc.x scripts.

Either:
 Boot from an original installation CD or floppy (not the floppy that you
 made during the installation process).

 Select monitor and keyboard type and mount your root partition.

 Go to a shell.

 Edit /target/etc/X11/config and change start-xdm to no-start-xdm.

 Unmount your root partition (umount /target) and reboot from your
 hard disk.

or:
 log in through the network, become root, and run `/etc/init.d/xdm stop'
 to terminate xdm.  I have sometimes had to do that twice.

Since xdm is now disabled, it will not start up; you will get a normal
console login prompt.

Log in and run startx, which should fail.  Look at the error messages
to find out what went wrong.

  >	2.  Is this problem with my trying to use kerneld without fully
  >understanding it?

I don't know.

     "For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be
      removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee,
      neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed,
      saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee."
                                        Isaiah 54:10