Re: Linux help !

(Redirected to debian user list)

At 01:11 PM 12/2/98 +1300, you wrote:
>I've just got Debian Linux 2.0 set up on my system, and I can't even
>figure out how to unpack *.deb files because when I create my user
>account Dselect the package frontend program bombs out and gives me the
>excuse saying its 'Locked'? access denied?
>
>I am so used to the easiness of Windows.  Yet I don't know how to change
>to my A drive or Cd-Rom.  I feel crippled trying to understand Debian.
>
>Please help.

You should be logged in as root when running dselect.  The floppy and CDROM
drives need to be "mounted".  They will be represented by a directory,
usually at the root level, such as /cdrom.  Look in /usr/doc/HOWTO and read
the various documents there on subjects of interest (after unzipping them
of course.)

Further questions should be directed to debian-user@lists.debian.org.

Regards,

Jerry

Certus Consulting Group               | Specializing in Integrated Circuit
Antioch, CA 94509                     | Design and Verification, Logic
(925)757-0685                         | Synthesis, Fault Grading, and
<http://www.certus.com>               | Test Development