Can't boot with new kernel

I'm having a major problem right now...

I recompiled my kernel to enable some different filesystems and now
whenever I boot xdm starts up but my monitor doesn't show anything.  It
just sits there sounding like someone keeps pushing the degauss button.

I'm not sure where the problem is, but I can tell you what I did:

	1.  changed the option for native language support from m(odule) to y(es).
	2.  commented out all modules in /etc/modules and placed "auto" in the
file (enable kerneld).
	3.  recompiled the kernel with: make dep; make clean; make modules; make
modules_install; make zlilo
	4.  rebooted.

I tried to reboot from a repair floppy, but it still loads all the rc.x
stuff and the same thing happens.  I think if I could reboot without firing
the rc.x scripts, I could fix the problem.

My questions are:

	1.  How can I reboot without running the rc.x scripts.
	2.  Is this problem with my trying to use kerneld without fully
understanding it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erik