Re: help for a future user

M.C. Vernon wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Mitch Blevins wrote:
>
> > >  Allmost debian list is about problems of installation.
> > > Would it be so difficult to install Debian?
> >
> > My opinion is the RedHat is easier to install than Debian.  Also, it
> > may be easier to get help with RedHat because it is a more popular
> > distribution so you have more people in newgroups with similar questions.
>
> In what way? I have installed debian several times (not just on my box)
> without any serious problems...and this was before I really knew linux :)

 I think dselect can be daunting to a newbie.  I've had problems with
 installing Debian from the CheapBytes CDs, but I blame that on the CDs
 themselves, not Debian.

 You're a bright guy, and were able to take it in stride when you were
 a newbie.  But I hate to make the assumption that others have the same
 skill-levels or temperament that you or I might have.

> > My advice would be to dip your toe in the water with RedHat, then come
> > to Debian after you've been swimming for a while.
> > You wouldn't want to learn to drive in a Ferrari, right? ;)
>
> I always consider this a bad analogy. What is so difficult about debian?
> Would it become `easier' if all those cludgy gui config scripts were
> available? If so, someone send me the source, and I'll package them
> (having debugged them first :p).

 You are right.  Probably a bad analogy.
 It's not that Debian is more difficult, but rather that the strengths
 of Debian are subtle in a way that could only be appreciated after
 having some experience with other distros.  Dpkg/apt are things of
 beauty.  And the distributed development environment of Debian has
 impressed me.  All-in-all a very complete, robust system.

 But popularity and ease-of-installation are very important for a
 first-timer.  A bad experience could turn a potential user away
 before they even give GNU/Linux a chance.  RedHat offers a quicker,
 easier installation and there are more co-users out there to ask
 questions to.  Very important for that first hump.

 -Mitch