Re: Newbie needs help

On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 05:15:31PM -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:
> stumpy@capital.net wrote:
> > Hi all.  I've just recently installed the Debian sytem on an old 386.
> > It is the only OS on the computer.  The install worked fine (minus I
> > can't boot from the HD).
> > I'm having problems with the FTP.  The modem connects fine to my ISP
> > (i'm using ppp) but when I try to open a site I get "unable to look up
> > host" error.  Also I have no clue how to install the software packages.
> > I tried to download to floppy and then transfer over (which is a problem
> > since my zip program doesn't do a split)
> > and then run DSELECT.  When I choose the floppy access method, it says
> > to enter the floppy with the packages file.  I put in the disk that has
> > the downloaded file on it but it does not except it.  Any help with
> > getting this going would be great.
> > The computer is a PC clone 386, 16M Ram, 1.44 and 1.2 disc drives, 500M
> > hd, 33.6 modem. No CDROM.  Thanks alot.
>
> hmmm... sounds like you're not resolving names correctly.
> You should have been given two numbers from your ISP called
> DNS Nameserver (primary and secondary).
> Add these numbers to your /etc/resolv.conf file.
>
> The file should look like this
>
> ####### /etc/resolv.conf #########
> search localdomain
> nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> nameserver yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Your isp may tell you that you don't need the nameserver ip addresses
(they are commonly provided by ppp to windows machines.) Here are the
nameservers for capital.net:

   freefall ~ $ nslookup
   Default Server:  localhost
   Address:  127.0.0.1

   > set type=NS
   > capital.net
   Server:  localhost
   Address:  127.0.0.1

   Non-authoritative answer:
   capital.net     nameserver = NS1.LOGICAL.NET
   capital.net     nameserver = NS2.LOGICAL.NET
   capital.net     nameserver = NS3.LOGICAL.NET
   capital.net     nameserver = capital.net

   NS1.LOGICAL.NET internet address = 204.97.128.2
   NS2.LOGICAL.NET internet address = 204.97.128.4
   NS3.LOGICAL.NET internet address = 204.97.128.6
   capital.net     internet address = 204.97.168.17

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com