Re: Installing Debian 2.0 (Intel) for first time

Chris Chapman schrieb:

> Hi;

hi chris

>     (My System:QDI 430TX motherboard,CyriX 200MMX CPU and 96MG Edo Ram)
>
>     I am new to Linux & Debian, Also I am not a programmer. I have
> tried to install Debian 2.0 (Intel)from CD. I have Win98 on my 4.3GB
> hard drive so I cleared 2.4G and managed to create a 200Mg root
> partition dev/hda3, a 96MG ((is this much necessary? )

it isn't, IMHO, but it won't hurt

> swap partition
> dev/hda7 an a 2.1+GB linux partition dev/hda8 and have reached the
> "Configure Device Drivers" step; but I am unsure what settings to use.
> Here is a list of the additional hardware I have:
>
> HP 7100i CD Writer ( uses Direct CD for writing data and Easy Cd for
> writing audio )
>
> Philips DRD 5200 DVD ROM
> Matrox Millennium II ( 4MG )
> Real Magic Hollywood 2 Mpeg2 Card
> US Robotic Sportster 56.6K Fax\Voice Modem
> Flyvideo II ( TV Tuner Card )

could be a problem

> Standard serial mouse
>
>     Can you please let me know what I must do to get them to run in
> Linux?. Also at one attempted to install I left "Configure Device
> Drivers" blank, then when I reached the "list of access methods" in
> Dselect, when I chose cdrom it requested the "Block" I do not know
> what this is.

block means the block device, this is /dev/hdb for an atapi-cdrom on first ideas slave

> I read the "Dselect documentation for beginners" but it
> has no mention of this. It does talk about mounting your CD could you
> explain what mounting is and how I can mount the CD drives mentioned
> above.

mounting means, that you have everything in one tree. you don't have a driveA,C and
D,in linux you've got A=/dev/fd0, C=/dev/hda1...7 etc.
and your cdrom is "built" in your filesystem at a mountpoint.
do as root:
mount   -t   iso9660    /dev/hdb   /cdrom
where the folder /cdrom has to exist. after that, you find the data of
the cdrom in the folder /cdrom.

>    Finally can you recommend the best learning materials for learning
> how to use and get the most out of Linux ( remembering I am a beginner )

a very good online-manual (html) is at

 http://www.lunetix.de      --> Downloads  --> LHB-7.0.tar.gz
but i recommend you to buy yourself a book