Re: reinstallation of system with full complement ...

>> "AED" == Alan Eugene Davis <adavis@netpci.com> writes:

AED> My system is pretty richly endowed with installed software, but is in need
AED> of some rejuvenation---a reinstall from scratch.
[...]
AED> I would appreciate any suggestions on upgrading.  I don't want to lose
AED> software I've compiled myself, but I want to install debian from scratch.

If you just installed into /usr/local, then this is easy.

Save /home/ /etc/ and /usr/local/ (using tar or such).

dpkg --get-selections > select.dpkg

will save your package selections.

wipe the partitions, install the base system, then do a

dpkg --set-selections < select.dpkg

and choose the "install" option in dpkg. (Maybe apt-get upgrade will
also do it after setting the selection).

Ciao,
	Martin