reinstallation of system with full complement ...

My system is pretty richly endowed with installed software, but is in need
of some rejuvenation---a reinstall from scratch.  Two or three possibilities
have occurred to me.

      1.  Install a new debian right over the old one, letting the chips
          fall where they may.

      2.  Moving / into /root-old then installing

      3.  Installing to a partition in the upper end of a 4.2 GB drive, where
          I have a GB to spare, then reorganizing.

The system was originally a pre-hamm system, I think, that has been upgraded
quite frequently.  Now, I have not had time to keep up, and a couple of
apt-get upgrades seem to have left some things in inconsistent states.

Ever since I built this machine, and even before, on a notebook, I have been
unable (with one bizaare exception) to compile a 2.1 kernel and get a
working ppp.  2.0 kernels compile perfectly.  I wonder if a total upgrade
will solve this.

I would appreciate any suggestions on upgrading.  I don't want to lose
software I've compiled myself, but I want to install debian from scratch.
What's the best tradeoff?

Alan Davis

--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis