virtual hosts

I am currently using Smartlist on Debian to run some small open
and very small closed lists.  I am also running Apache and wu-ftpd
to serve http and ftp.  I like the whole combination very much now
I've learned to configure it properly (wry grin!)

I am planning to move everything to a machine hosted by an ISP to
get out of working from within the educational system.  I know that
for my WWW services I can alias names to the same machine and
Apache's virtual host capability will present different WWW
directory trees depending on the browser depending on which
name has been accessed.  The ISP suggests mapping the various
different host names to the different IP addresses all on the same
machine.  The tech man there tells me that gets round the problem
of older browsers coming in to the numeric address and so hitting
the www root rather than the virtual mappings.  Sounds good to me
and I assume you just have multiple entries in /etc/hosts.

Can I do something similar with Email?  In particular with
Smartlist?  Is there something I can do using sendmail.cf and
perhaps MX records to allow the same box to collect for different
names and allow procmail, sendmail, smartlist, qpopper and
probably some IMAP server to treat the different names
appropriately?

I.e. could I have a /var/list set of subdirectories:
	aft
	atc
	sign-speak
	visped
	spruk
being served to the addresses:
	aft@aft.psyctc.org
	atc@atc.psyctc.org
	visped@visped.org
	spruk@spruk.psyctc.org

I'm assuming I could be sensible to create unique usernames like:
	aft.person1 aft.person2
	atc.person1 atc.person2
etc.
so there should be no problems of username resolution for
sendmail, IMAP and POP3.

Have I got the right idea?  What friendly documentation should I be
reading?

TIA,

Chris

Chris Evans, R&D Consultant,