Please help with CD writer questions

Hi, I wanted to get one of these drives for data archival and I had afew
questions, i'de be glad for any advice:

1. I read (on NetExpress) that the shelf life of CD-R media is only like 5
years. Is this true? Doesn't this suck? And that CD-RW media has a shelf life
of 30 years. Does this mean I have to get a CD-RW?

2. What is the deal with the buffer underflow thing? I read (on Computers.co
m) that you should have a fast SCSI interface, because if you cant feed the
writer data fast enough, the write will die. - Does this mean that all IDE
CD-Writers are useless? And what if you do get a SCSI Writer, but are using an
IDE hard disk? Wont you still be stuck?

3. (this might be stupid) Can you use EIDE drives on IDE interfaces?

4. Which one should I get? The main requirements being linux compatability and
price. (Since i'm a poor student. :)).

5. I have a SCSI card of sorts: One of the Adaptec things that comes with
iomega zip drives. Could I plug a CDR into this, or does it suck?

Whew:). Thanks alot in advance for any advice!
Timothy

E-Mail: timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu
Date: 26-Nov-98
Time: 16:24:51