Re: ethernet card and ppp modem connection

Colin Telmer <telmerco@telmer.com> writes:

> What I ultimately would like to do is to be able to do rlogins through
> this ppp connection but have all other network connections still using my
> ethernet connection. I guess I don't completely understand what you mean
> by "Put a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d to add a route to your office network
> via the ppp interface"?

Suppose your office uses the addresses 192.168.20.0 to
129.168.20.255.  Then you want to add a route to
192.168.20.0/255.255.255.0 in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/local-route, and delete
it in a corresponding script in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d.

e.g.

--- /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/local-route ---
#!/bin/sh

route add -net 192.168.20.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw "$PPP_REMOTE"
------

This route is more specific that the default route, so it will be used
first.  In ip-down.d, put the same thing but with "route del" instead.

This should work, since it's almost exactly what I use.

> Could you point me to documentation that I can use to figure this out? Any
> help is really appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

Read and understand all the networking HOWTO's in /usr/doc/HOWTO.

I believe it should be possible using fancy firewall stuff, or the new
routing in the 2.1.x kernels, to send only rlogin traffic over the PPP
interface, but you'll have to work out how to do that yourself.

"Is there anyone who actually believes that USAicans are so modest or
intellectually honest as to be unable to find someone to sue?" - Cameron Laird