Re: ethernet card and ppp modem connection

On 24 Nov 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> You don't want to divert net traffic to the ppp connection.  You just want
> to make it the route to your office.  Put a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d to
> add a route to your office network via the ppp interface and another in
> /etc/ppp/ip-down.d to delete it.  When up, ppp links can be treated just
> like ethernet links, except they are named pppX instead of ethX, they
> always have exactly two hosts on them, and you don't need to ifconfig them
> (pppd does that).

Thanks for your help. However, I am having difficulty getting the ppp
connection to work properly due to my ethernet connection being the
"default route". I really don't know much about the details of routing
tables and interface configuration. I can get everything working fine by
hand (automation seems simple enough) if and only if I "route del default"
beforehand to remove (what I understand to be) the existing gateway. If I
don't do this, I can only ping the ppp server and nothing beyond this. To
me this implies that I can't lookup other ip addresses past the ppp server
as there is no gateway to pass through to get there (or something like
that).

What I ultimately would like to do is to be able to do rlogins through
this ppp connection but have all other network connections still using my
ethernet connection. I guess I don't completely understand what you mean
by "Put a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d to add a route to your office network
via the ppp interface"?

Could you point me to documentation that I can use to figure this out? Any
help is really appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

--
Colin Telmer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
<mailto:telmerco@telmer.com>