Re: ethernet card and ppp modem connection

Colin Telmer writes:
> I connect to the internet via an ethernet connection by default but now
> also need to occasionally use a ppp connection to make a secure
> connection to my office. Can I divert net traffic to the ppp connection
> on occasion without disturbing my ppp connection?

You don't want to divert net traffic to the ppp connection.  You just want
to make it the route to your office.  Put a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d to
add a route to your office network via the ppp interface and another in
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d to delete it.  When up, ppp links can be treated just
like ethernet links, except they are named pppX instead of ethX, they
always have exactly two hosts on them, and you don't need to ifconfig them
(pppd does that).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)