Lilo and MBR

Following up to my prevous mail is the lilo or mbr shipped with Debian 2 faulty
?  When trying to boot from hda3 (hda1 is win98, hda2 is swap) it just says
happens when it cant find vmlinuz when you forget to run lilo. it boots fine
off the CD with "rescue root=/dev/hda3" and RedHat 5.1 works fine.

This is my first Debian install so maybe I am just missing soething that is
different from the way RedHat does it.

Pat