Re: PPP problems

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Hi all
>
> After running pppconfig and running pppd provider (where provider is the
> name of the file created by pppconfig), I get the following results (from
> tail -f /var/log/messages):
>
>     CONNECT stuff and so....
>     expect (ogin: login_name)
>      19200^M
>     ^M
>     NO CARRIER
>         --failed
>     Failed (NO CARRIER)
>     Exit.
>     PPP: ppp line discipline successfully unregistered
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I suspect it is your expect line for the login prompt. are you expecting
"ogin: your_login_name" or just "ogin:" ?? you cant expect the former,
your ISP expects you to enter your login. like so:

ogin:      your_login_name
ssword:    \qyour_password

no quotes...  the "\q" makes the password invisible in the log file.

If you had it the way I think you did, your connection script will just
sit around waiting for a string that wont arrive. Either chat, or your
ISP will timeout with no action in a specified time.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

           Windows: the world's first commercially successful virus!