Re: PPP options for different providers - how ?

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Chang, FKK wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I hope someone can help me with the following problem.
>
> I have three providers, with different names, so that i can
> use "pon <name1>" etc. The scripts are made with pppconfig and
> they work.

Good... :)

> Problem is, for each one I have different "options", such as
>
> dns xxx.yyy.zzz.uuu

Currently, Linux pppd has no support for this, but this is my holiday
project to implement it. That is, getting the dns address from your ISP in
its IPCP negotiations. One option is to use the DNS server from the
fastest ISP for all of your connections.. As long as that ISP allows
anybody to use their DNS server. put this in your /etc/resolv.conf, and
you are set.

> name "myname"
> auth

This can be put in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets as this (I think its correct)

<name_at_isp>	*	<password>

then in each /etc/ppp/peers/* file, have an option, "user <name_at_isp>"

> etc.
>
> in the file /etc/ppp/options. These should be different for each
> provider (esp. the login name, authentification, etc.). Now it
> only works  for one provider.

The above file is only for global options to every ppp connection that
will be made on your box, which rules out username parameters. I generally
as a rule never touch it. the Debian defaults seem to work okay.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

      "Bother," said Pooh, as he heard, "Will the Defendant please rise."