bug in xwd? (was Re: screenshot)

Michael wrote:

> On 23 Nov, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I made this groovy looking xdm login screen and now I want to make a
> > screen shot of it.  On the screenshot I want the background picture,
> > the xlogin widget, and the xconsole.  If I try to do this with
> > `xwd -root -display :0' from a vc, all I get is a black picture.  The
> > -screen option doesn't help.  I also had no luck starting xv -display :0
> > from a vc and making the dump with that (all input was directed to the
> > xlogin widget).  Any suggestions?
>
> Try sticking a command into the xdm setup files, after having started
> all the glitzy stuff, use something like xwd or import
> (in imagemagick packages, IIRC) to catch the pic to file. I have my
> system set up to do just this, if you want it I can look up exactly how I
> did it (none too good memory and not on my Linux machine at the moment)

I tried it already.  Finally discovered that xwd doesn't work at all
on my system if the xserver (svga, diamond viper 330) runs in 16 bit.  I
could get the screen dump in 8 bit using `xwd -root -display :0' from a
vc.  I'll have to look into that import command.

The fact that xwd doesn't work in 16 bit, is that `well known' (I think
traditionally X only had 8 and 24 bit modes), a bug in xwd, or a bug in
the xserver?

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032