Install problem

I am having problems installing Debian 2.0 from a Chapbytes CD. It installs OK but on rebooting I get a message that says "3FA" and if I press return I get the lilo prompt.
If I press return again I get the Loading Linux ...... then the thing just
reboots.  Its an AST Ascentai M serias laptop (200MMX) and it was previosly
running RedHat 5.1 with no problems. I have Win98 installed on hda1 with the
Linux swap on hda2 and the root partition on hda3.
The install was done totally from CD as you cant have a CD drive and floppy
drive in the laptop at the same time.
If I then use the dustribution CD as a rescue disk and tell it that hda3
contains the root partition it boots fine and I can rerun lilo but then again
rebooting from hard drive gives the same error.

Yours stumped

Pat