Re: Getting setup for mail and news

Hello,

> I'm using Netscape for my mail and news, and WVDIAL to dial my isp.
> What I'd like to do is to get the internal, if that's the right term,
> stuff going in linux.  I tried setting up the pon for the dialer, smail
> and fetchmail for mail, but I didn't get far.  I got confused on what
> goes where, and in what order.  If someone could give me a gameplan I'd

First thing is to get pon working. There's a pppconfig utility, and all the
configuration goes into /etc/ppp (and /etc/ppp/peers).

Once you have that, the other things go into /etc/ppp/ip-up.d to be executed
each time the link comes up (they get executed in alphabetical order). You'll
probably find that fetchmail and smail have put themselves in. You can edit
those files if you wish (they are configuration files).

You should probably configure smail next, and get it delivering local mail (ie
mail from one user on your computer to another), but I can't help you with
that since I'm using exim. At this point, you'll also need to have a
mail-user-agent such as elm, pine or mutt.

Then configure fetchmail. Confusingly enough, its config doesn't go in /etc
but in ~/.fetchmailrc of the user running it (root, if it's run from ip-up).

> really appreciate it.  Like what things to install, what order to
> install them, what docs to read, etc.

I just worked from /usr/doc and the manpages...

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>