Getting setup for mail and news

I've been fooling around with debian for a little while now, and I need
some help, or pointers in the right direction.

I'm using Netscape for my mail and news, and WVDIAL to dial my isp.
What I'd like to do is to get the internal, if that's the right term,
stuff going in linux.  I tried setting up the pon for the dialer, smail
and fetchmail for mail, but I didn't get far.  I got confused on what
goes where, and in what order.  If someone could give me a gameplan I'd
really appreciate it.  Like what things to install, what order to
install them, what docs to read, etc.

Thanks in advance.