Ifconfig

I have a question about ifconfig.
I have a machine that I am trying to configure to put onto a local
network.
I'm an assigning it IP address 192.168.76.76
I type:
	ifconfig eth0 192.168.76.76

then I check it with ifconfig and everything is correct.  I reboot the
machine, and recheck ifconfig -- it's wrong.  It resets the IP address to
192.168.1.1 everytime!

Currently, I do not have this machine physically hooked up to the network,
because I was just doing the configuration and I didn't want to knock
another (very important) machine off the network.  If the ethernet card is
not actually hooked up to the network, will that cause this "reset" to
happen upon every boot?

How do I get it to stay at 192.168.76.76?

Amanda Shuler		| I don't want to start any
shuleram@acm.msu.edu	| blasphemous rumours, but...