Re: Ifconfig

Amanda Shuler said
> I have a question about ifconfig.
> I have a machine that I am trying to configure to put onto a local
> network.
> I'm an assigning it IP address 192.168.76.76
> I type:
> 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.76.76
>
> then I check it with ifconfig and everything is correct.  I reboot the
> machine, and recheck ifconfig -- it's wrong.  It resets the IP address to
> 192.168.1.1 everytime!
>
> Currently, I do not have this machine physically hooked up to the network,
> because I was just doing the configuration and I didn't want to knock
> another (very important) machine off the network.  If the ethernet card is
> not actually hooked up to the network, will that cause this "reset" to
> happen upon every boot?

No, it's not that the machine is or is not on the net.  It's a config file
issue.

> How do I get it to stay at 192.168.76.76?

Check /etc/init.d/network
This is where the system gets it information durring boot for the various
network interfaces.

Find the reference to 192.168.1.1 and edit it to be 192.168.76.76.
Reboot and test.

> Amanda Shuler		| I don't want to start any
> shuleram@acm.msu.edu	| blasphemous rumours, but...

Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	+1-419-529-3841