Re: web design question

Hello Andrew,

> I was wondering whether it was possible to overlay text on to an image in
> HTML...

Are you sure you want to do that? Images sometimes have an annoying tendency
to get in the way of the information you are trying to get across...

The image will also slow down loading, the text will come out differently
across it depending on the font size, it may be difficult to read on a
16-colour screen (dithering), and so on.

If you design your page so that the image is not necessary, and you should for
the sake of those who cannot see them, you may well find that the image is not
necessary.

> specifying a background image for a table cell or something like that.

That's probably the way to do it if you want just a single copy of the image,
but I'm not sure where to look for it either.

If you want a repeating pattern on the background of the whole page, it's
specified as an attribute to the BODY tag, like <body background="back.gif">

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>