Re: web design question

Quoting Matthew Parry (mettw@bowerbird.com.au):

>    I was wondering whether it was possible to overlay text on to an image in
>    HTML... specifying a background image for a table cell or something like
>    that. I think I've seen it done before, but of course I can't find the
>    website now.
>
> You could use style sheets for this.  Just define a style such as

> .foo {
> margin-top: -5em
> }
>
> in the header and put a <div class=foo>text</div> below the image.

yup, i think this is what he wanted, and i think it is more related to layers
than style sheets (although they are so tightly wrapped who knows).  either
way, you're going to want to know some javascript.  if you're using netscape,
i have some links that i'd recommend for learning their DHTML.

http://developer.netscape.com/library/documentation/communicator/dynhtml/index.htm
http://developer.netscape.com/library/examples/dhtml.html

these next two are javascript links that will introduce the pre-DHTML features:
http://developer.netscape.com/library/documentation/communicator/jsguide/js1_2.htm
http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/3.0/handbook/javascript/

-James