Re: PPP daemon has died

Jonathan Crowe writes:
> To start up pppd I just typed pppd at the #

With the result that pppd tried to make a connection to the console, since
you didn't tell it what else to do.  Won't work.  The right way to start
pppd on a Debian 2.0 system is to type 'pon', which is a script which calls
pppd with all the right stuff.  Then you type 'poff', which shuts pppd
down.  First, though, you should run 'pppconfig' to set up the configuration
files with the phone number and stuff.

> When I run the scripts from my ISP I get the same thing.... connect and
> login but unable to see the internet.

Don't try to use the scripts from the ISP.  They are always crap.  Just use
them as reference material when you run pppconfig.

> I am not able to ping or telnet or ftp anything by name or by IP but at
> least ppp daemon seems to be working.

You probably do not have a defaultroute set. Pppconfig will fix that.  Take
all your changes out of /etc/ppp/options, though.  All customization should
go in /etc/ppp/peers/provider (which pppconfig edits).

> What files do I have to set up to user wvdial.

You aren't supposed to have to set up any.  Wvdial is supposed to set
everything up itself.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)