Re: Compressed epsfigures (LaTeX)

"J. Lawson" <j.lawson@Cranfield.ac.uk> wrote:

>	I would like to store postscript images (ps,eps) in compressed
>form and have them decompressed for use during my LaTeX run.

Use the graphics or the graphicx package.

1) Suppose you have a postscript picture stored in "picture.ps"
2) Create a file "picture.ps.bb" that contains a copy the bounding box
   statement from "picture.ps" (i.e. one of the first few lines in
   "picture.ps" that starts with "%%BoundingBox" and that contains
   four figures.
3) Compress "picture.ps" with the command "gzip picture.ps". This results
   in a file "picture.ps.gz"
4) Make LaTeX file e.g.
   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage{graphicx}
   \begin{document}
   \begin{center}
   \includegraphics[width=10cm]{picture.ps.gz}
   \end{center}
   \end{document}
 5) dvips takes care for the uncompression. Most other device drivers support
    the graphicx package too.
The graphicx package is very well documented in the book "The LaTeX
Companion" by Goossens, Rahtz and Mittelbach, ISBN 0-201-85469-4

>PS Just as an accademic question, can the same thing be done with the
>LaTeX (.tex) files also?

I am shure this can be done using a shell script.

Paul Huygen