"simple" three-d graphs

I'm not finding, in the list of usual suspects, a program to do the
type of simple graphing I need.

I only need this to make illustrative diagrams, not for real data.

What I'd like is a 3D plot of a handful of cubes, with a line
connecting their center.  Ideally, each cube could show itself sliced
into a bunch of regions like

     _________
    /\__\__\__\
   /\/\__\__\__\
  /\/\/\__\__\__\
  \/\/\/__/__/__/
   \/\/__/__/__/
    \/__/__/__/

with the line going through the middle region.

gnuplot almost looks like it could do this in 2d, but not 3d.  I'm
about to go through manuals for xkobi, jgraph, and the pgplot library.

I need these as .eps or something else that I can include in latex
(lyx, actually).

And if anyone's dying to know why i need these, they're for an example
of disjoint bubbles for the discretization of an awkward space to allow
dynamic programming :)  the center of the cube is the trial solution,
and the cubelettes around it are nearby states in the discretization :)

rick