Re: Configuring Xf86.

At 08:43 AM 11/20/98 -0800, Bret Craw wrote:
>If it is able to display in the vidtune, why is it that
>after I get out of the program and type startx, it is unable to start up?

PS. This is a question that has baffled many of us. The basic answer is
that vidtune (and XF86Setup) use a default VGA setting, but neither program
is smart enough to give you the option to setup X to use the same default
VGA setting. It'd be nice if it gave you the option of "Hey, vidtune's
working with these settings. Do you want to use these settings to start X
Windows? It'll be ugly, but at least it'll work."

I personally think the single biggest barrier to the newcomer to Linux is
getting X Windows running. Most newcomers are coming from the Windows world
where a GUI is standard and expected. They bring their expectations with
them, and want to see a GUI right off. Maybe next year Linux will be more
friendly to these converts.