Exploring the recent QT open source issue.

Before I go on, first allow me to make this note. If you have any
biased, like to flame, argue or debate without merit or fact to hold
your position, please do NOT read any further. I would like to ask a
serious question about KDE vs. Gnome without futile debates and idiotic
tangents based on one's biased opinion of one or the other.

My question relates to Debian's position on KDE at this point. Now that
QT has a license that can be considered open source, how are the Debian
maintainers going to follow up on this? On /. today there was mention of
some people deciding to leave Gnome to return to the development circle
of KDE, being that they don't wish to re-invent the wheel. I doubt that
this will cause great instability in the development effort of Gnome in
the long run, but it brings up some interesting issues.

Will Debian now package KDE applications in DEB files now that QT is
open?

Is Debian, like RedHat, going to still consider Gnome to be the official
kit for their distribution?

Are considerations being made to allow for both?

I am not going to pass judgement on anyone's opinion, but rather welcome
the opportunity to see where the Debian community really wants to go in.
Our company purposely stepped back from doing any more X based
development and holds to using Java and its JFC(Swing) toolkits until
the stability of the source tree's become accepted. Since all our
development machines are running on Debian, and we like the easy
maintainance of the packaging, we wonder if we will have the choice
through packaging when it comes, or if Gnome will still be the only
"packaged" kit distributed by the Debian group.

--
Dana M. Epp
eppdm@netmaster.ca

NetMaster Networking Solutions, Inc.