perl linked with gdbm?

Hi!

I am trying to compile a testing version of exim on my Debian/hamm
system. This particular exim version happens to be the first version
that uses embedded perl. The compile fails because I don't have gdbm
installed on my system. exim itself is configured to use dbm and
doesn't need gdbm.

The -lgdbm finds its way into the make process via
|mh@torres:/home/mh > perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts
|Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ldbm
|-rdynamic  -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/CORE -lperl -lnsl -lndbm -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lc -lposix -lcrypt
|mh@torres:/home/mh >

Should I try to shut the compiler up by installing gdbm?

From the exim mailing list:
|Perl keeps around the various compiler and library
|options that are necessary for building Perl extensions. If "-lgdbm"
|is included in there then Perl itself was compiled with "-lgdbm" and
|I would expect that
|    ldd /usr/bin/perl
|would have a line showing a dependency on something like libgdbm.so.2.

that is correct on my system.

|I suppose it's possible that the Debian crowd messed up their Perl
|build and linked statically against libgdbm.a when *they* built Perl
|but that you don't have libgdbm.a installed on your system.

Is that a bug in the perl package?

|With Red Hat Linux, for example, the archive library libgdbm.a is in
|the gdbm-devel RPM whereas the libgdbm.so stuff is all that most
|people need and lives in the gdbm RPM.

So I would install devel/libgdbmg1-dev and be off-hook?

from Packages.gz
|Package: libgdbmg1-dev
|Version: 1.7.3-25
|Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/devel/libgdbmg1-dev_1.7.3-25.deb
| GNU dbm ('gdbm') is a library of database functions that use extendible
| hashing and works similarly to the standard UNIX 'dbm' functions.
| .
| This library is no longer supported by the FSF, and hasn't been worked on
| in several years -- for new applications, please consider libdb instead, and
| also consider migrating old applications, see /usr/doc/libgdbmg1/MIGRATE.

Does it make sense to have a perl package that requires an obsolete
library? I really don't have a clue about this library business, so I
desperately need someone who can tell me what is going on and to do
:-)

Greetings
Marc