Re: perl linked with gdbm?

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 19:18:20 +0000, Marc Haber wrote:
> Should I try to shut the compiler up by installing gdbm?

For now, yes. Quite likely perl's dependency on gdbm will be remove in a
future version of the perl packages.

> |I suppose it's possible that the Debian crowd messed up their Perl
> |build and linked statically against libgdbm.a when *they* built Perl
> |but that you don't have libgdbm.a installed on your system.
>
> Is that a bug in the perl package?

perl shouldn't depend on gdbm anymore (as that's deprecated); this issue is
known by the perl maintainer.

> |With Red Hat Linux, for example, the archive library libgdbm.a is in
> |the gdbm-devel RPM whereas the libgdbm.so stuff is all that most
> |people need and lives in the gdbm RPM.
>
> So I would install devel/libgdbmg1-dev and be off-hook?

Yes.

HTH,
Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go