Re: Dj660c-filter and stepping

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Alan Tam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         Is there a filter for HP Deskjet 660C in the Debian Packages ?
> So far I can get from magicfilter_1.2-24.deb is dj550c-filter.
>
>         I am trying to print the manual pages through my HP Deskjet
> 660c. A
> question on how to eliminate the stepping effect when I issue the
> command
> man printcap > /dev/lp1

The reason you are getting the stepping is that this is going as raw data
to the printer, not through any filter. You need to pipe it through lpr,
not send it directly to /dev/lp1.

The ghostscript printer compatibility page
(http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/printer.html) indicates that the cdj550
driver (which is called by dj550c-filter) is the correct one to use with
the 660C, so you should use the dj550c-filter in magicfilter.

To print a man page, use 'man -t printcap|lpr'.

>         From the Printing-HowTo, there is an example
> #!perl
> #The above line should really have the whole path to perl
> #This script must be executable: chmod 755 filter
> while (<STDIN>){chop $_; print "$_\r\n";);
> #You might also want to end with a form feed: print "\f";
>
> Should I leave the STDIN as is or replace it with lp1 or something else
> ?

The easy way is to let magicfilter do the work for you.

Bob

----