gcc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 11

I was just wondering if anyone else was getting a similar error to this
with recent versions of gcc in debian. I know that it has been said that
this error often results from bad memory. I hope this is not always the
case because I just got this memory less than 6 months ago. I am trying
to compile the kernel and suddenly make config gives the error listed in
the subject line.

It also fails to build with the standard hello.c program. Are there any
programs to test memory real well because all memory is reported and I
have no problems with Windows NT or Windows 98 on the same machine. Any
help would be apprecited.
It seemed to stop working al of a sudden.

Thanks

Dale Miller

Some of the releveant information follows:

Package: gcc
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 3092
Maintainer: Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net>