Re: A new Debian user's initial questions

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Chris Mayes wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:
> >
> > I think you are trying to start suse with your debian kernel. what you
> > should do, is mount the suse partition, and have
> > 'image = /suse_root/vmlinuz' in the suse section.
> >
> Ah, so I need to tell it which mount point on the Debian kerel contains
> the SuSE kernel?  I thought that specifying the root partition (root =
> /dev/hdd1) would have been sufficient.  I haven't actually (successfully)
> set up my own lilo.conf, I don't believe.  The config programs have been
> babying me ;-)  I'll give it a try when I get home.  Thanks!

Thats the crux of it... The main point being, that the "image" line just
tells lilo which file's address it has to hard code into the MBR. If it
points to the debian kernel, the debian kernel will be used to start the
system. If it points to the suse kernel, the suse kernel will be used.

Sidenote: I am not sure myself, maybe a guru on the subject can answer.
The "root" parameter, does it override the kernel's idea of the root
partition? i.e. `rdev [kernelimage] [rootdevice]`?

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                            BIT: Past tense of BYTE.