dpkg "Packages.gz: not a plain file" error?

I'm tracking slink and have a local mirror of it.  However, when upgrading a
machine on my local network with the latest apt, I get the following error
message:

Get ftp://ftp.golgotha.net slink/contrib Packages
Error ftp://ftp.golgotha.net slink/contrib Packages
 550 /pub/debian/debian-non-US/dists/slink/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz:
not a plain file.

   Well, I'd hate to disagree with apt ;-), but the Packages.gz file is a
regular file and the filesize and permissions match exactly with what's on the
ftp site.  This happens on main, non-free, and contrib.  To make things more
interesting, if I run apt from the machine where the local mirror is, it has
no problems at all.  And I can use the FTP method fine -- just not apt.

   Anyone have a clue of what's going on?  My entry in /etc/apt/sources.list
for the above reads:
deb ftp://ftp.golgotha.net/pub/debian slink main contrib non-free

--
 .                       | For those old-timers like me who remember
 Randy                   | with nostalgia the days of 4.77mhz 8088 PCs;