Re: A new Debian user's initial questions

Welcome Chris,

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 09:57:42PM -0500, Chris Mayes wrote:
> Hello, everyone.  While I am not particualrly new to Linux in general
> (June '98 RH 5.0/1, SuSE 5.2/3), i am totally new to Debian.  As such, I
> have a few questons.
>
> My frst question actually pertains more to System Commander than Debian
> itself, though it's involved ;-)  Here it is: when I modify lilo.conf and
> run lilo, all goes smoothly:
>
> added:
>    Linux *
>    suse
>
> or its equivalent.  However, when I reboot and select the root partition,
> it still boots directly into Deban, as if I hadn't changed the
> configuration.  Here's my lilo.conf:

What do you want it to do? The first image section will be the default image
to load, unless you use the 'default' parameter. Prss the shift key when you
see the boot: prompt, then press the tab key to see what images are
available.

> boot=/dev/hda2
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
>
> image=/vmlinuz
> root=/dev/hda2
> label=Linux
> read-only
>
> image = /vmlinuz
> root = /dev/hdd1
> label = suse
> read-only
>
> It looks okay to me...  Anyway, on with the questions.
>
> What's the easiest way to configure everything to use my HP DeskJet 520
> printer properly?  I saw some printcap and DeskJet tool packages whiz by,
> so I thought it might be okay.  Well, when I tried to print somethng, all
> that happened was the carriage nailed itslef to the other end of the rail
> witha loud thwack.  In fact, it continued to do that after every
> power-off, even in the pereviously-working SuSE until I unplugged the
> printer cable.  Related?  Possibly...

Try the magicfilter package.

> Finaaly, a question of inclusion.  I understand that Debian strictly
> adheres to the GPL, so I was wondering about the exclusion of the U. of
> Washington stuff (pine, pico, etc).  I rilly love pine, and I use pico
> 'cuz I'm used to it for quick file reads.  It's no bg deal, really.  Ther
> are a ton of great mail readers and text editors (probably better than the
> previous), I was just curious.  You can be certain that I will have more
> questons, but I will leave y'all alone for now.  Thanks in advance!

Pine is available as source code only. You can get the pine package and
compile it yourself, it's quite simple. Then you just install the .deb's
yourself with dpkg.