Re: advice installing motif

> I am about to install motif (2.1.10) from metrolink and I am wondering
> about the best way to do it.  I can use either "tar.gz" or ".rpm"
> files.  If I use the rpm's I can run them through alien to get debs.
> My concern, if all of this gets installed in /usr (instead of
> /usr/local), is how to manage the possible overwriting of existing
> debian files.  I would rather not do that at all if I can help it.

I used "alien -c ..." to do the conversions.  I checked through the
installation scripts and they are all correct (enough) except for the
supplemental packages (which I didn't bother to install).

The packages I installed are:

ii  metromotif         2.1.10-3       Motif 2.1.10 - Runtime libraries and exec
ii  metromotif-devel   2.1.10-3       Motif 2.1.10 - Development libraries and
ii  metromotif12-libs  1.2.4-3        Motif 1.2.4 shared libraries
ii  metromotif12-mwm   1.2.4-3        Motif 1.2.4 window manager
ii  metromotif20-mwm   2.0.1-3        Motif 2.0.1 window manager

You can install the mwm20 without the corresponding libXm.so.2.0 because
it is statically linked.

The files that were overwritten when I installed the above packages are
on my installation as follows:

Files overwritten by "metromotif-devel":

  `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules', which is also in package xlib6g-dev
  `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.tmpl', which is also in package xlib6g-dev

Basically, overwritting these files is what you want.  With the new
Motif.{rules,tmpl}, your xmkmf will work correctly.

The only problem you'll run into later is when you upgrade your
xlib6g-dev.  You'll need reinstall metromotif-devel, but don't worry
about remembering this as dpkg will tell you about it later.

Of course, everything above assumes that you've uninstalled all the
lesstif binary and development packages AND that you've purged pixmap.

For what it's worth, when you install lesstif-dependent packages (like
mgdiff :-), you can use "--force-depends" with impunity if your only
dependency problem is that you don't have lesstif installed.

Paul