Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian Crash]

"Rich Harran." <95rmwh@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Rich Harran wrote:
>
> > J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> > > [description]
> > >
> > > It sounds a lot like it may have been just a crash of the X server. Is your
> > > machine on a network? Could you still access it from the network?
> <snip>
>
> I am on a network, but didn't have physical access to other computers at
> the time (there not in the same building).  Would an X server crash cause
> the total lock-up,

Yes. It happend today: For some reason KDE Beta 4 crashed and no
keyboard press was recognized, the mouse froze and no updating occured
on the screen.

> and is there anything I could have done to bin X
> without restarting?

Well, if you`re the lucky owner of a dump ascii terminal, you could
use that.

Another solution could be a process monitoring the serial port, where
you connect a simple switch. If you press this switch xdm is
restarted, or something like this.

> If I want to access my computer from another (if it
> happens again), do I have to do anything in advance at this end, or can I
> just telnet in, and logon as usual?

if telnetd (or sshd) is still running: yes.

This is what I did to resolve my problem: ssh onto the box, "su -",
"/etc/init.d/xdm restart"  => recovery.

HTH,

Jens

--