Moving Files from Windows

CostaM@coned.com wrote:

I have just installed LINUX on another machine in my office. The powers
that
be are reluctant at this moment to let me put in on the network. I have
loaded some items down to my NT machine and now need to ship them to my
LINUX box. However they are too big to fit on a floppy. Anyone got any
ideas
of a utility I can use to compress on NT and uncompress on LINUX?

Pc magazine has a utility called 'slice' which will split a file
between multiple floppies.  It creates a utility on the first diskette
of the set called 'splice' which re-creates the file.  You can use the
tail command, along with the '>>' operator to concatinate the pieces
together into one file.  The trick is that the first 16 bytes of the
file are used to keep track of putting the diskettes back together
into one file, the rest of the file is the data.  Both the source and
binary are available from pcmagazine's web site and, I think, the
license on this may be 'free' enough to port and package this program
for debian.