Problems with transfig

Hello,

I'm running debian 2.0 and when trying to export a xfig file in GIF format a get an empty file. I tried the command fig2dev (which is actually used by xfig) and this is what I get:

$ fig2dev -Lgif my_fig.fig my_fig.gif
$ ls -l my_fig.fig
-rw-rw-r--  ....  0 Nov 10 13:27 IPMux_lab.gif

I noticed problems with other file types:

$ fig2dev -Ljpeg my_fig.fig my_fig.jpg
Unknown device: jpeg
Broken pipe

$ fig2dev -Lpng my_fig.fig
Unknown device: png256
Broken pipe

$ fig2dev -Ltiff my_fig.fig
Unknown device: tiff24nc
Broken pipe

In fact, the only format that doesn't complain is GIF, but I get an empty file. As far as I can say I have installed all the packages transfig depends on.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Pedro I. Sanchez