[wtopa@ix.netcom.com: Re: [FVWM95] Taskbar plugins]

----- Forwarded message from wtopa@ix.netcom.com -----

Thought that someone here might find this message useful.

From: wtopa@ix.netcom.com
To: fvwm95@Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Subject: Re: [FVWM95] Taskbar plugins
Date: 10 Nov 1998 10:43:38 -0500

wim delvaux <delvaux.wim@desc.com> writes:

> "÷ÉËÔÏÒ ÷ÉÓÌÏÂÏËÏ×" wrote:
>
> SInce all other modules work except CheckLockModule and MainCheckModule I
> think there
> might be a problem with the environment that these modules require. (Eg.
> directories, ...)
> Perhaps you should check the options for these modules ( Manual pages ?)
> and/or the sources to see
> what these modules need ...

The problem (I coached him through this in private email) was that the
taskbar makefile was not written properly - it happened to work in a
libc5 linux environment, but I doubt it would work anywhere else
(maybe it would work on certain i386 *BSD variants too).
Specifically, it didn't work in a libc6 linux environment, which is
what Debian 2.0 uses.  We got around it by compiling with "-O2", which
happened to work in a libc6 environment (but again, whether or not
this would work anywhere else is an open question).  The real fix
(which I didn't discover until I tried to get fvwm95 compiled on
Solaris) is to compile the .so files with the options "-lc -fpic
-shared"; this is how other shared libraries that are loaded
dynamically are built.  (I think)

If fvwm95 were currently being maintained, I would submit my patch to
the makefile; unfortunately there is no one to submit a patch to,
since the original author is no longer working on this at all.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Pascal Users:
 To show respect for the 313th anniversary (tomorrow) of the