Re: standardising X

Hello,

bob@spoiler.demon.co.uk (richard):
> 	This is purely an asthetic question, so all coments are welcome. I'd like to standardise
> my X Windows, so that they all look and operate the same.

In X, any window can look any way it likes. That said, though, most
X apps are written using one of only a few toolkits (widget sets),
and all apps written with the same toolkit will look similar and
configure similarly.

Perhaps try thinking of Athena as "membrane keys" and Motif as
"push-buttons". Nobody seems to mind if the microwave oven has
different type of buttons than the blender...

You'll be able to configure some things to be the same (scrollbar
dragging), but others will be difficult (3D look).

> I assume this is possible but I don't
> know where to start. Here's what I'd like.
> xman however has the scroll bar at the left hand side and buttons that are defined by dots.

Not sure what you mean by "dots" here, though the Athena widget set
does look rather plain. There should be single-width lines
delineating buttons (you can probably make them thicker).

The positive side is that it doesn't waste screen space with fancy
borders and things.

> The scroll-bar can only be moved by repeated left and right mouse
> button clicking. which is pretty poor really.

By default, it can be dragged by the middle button. Which is useless
on a two-button mouse, even with chord-middle emulation. If you
don't want to buy a different mouse, you can reconfigure it somewhere
in the resources. I haven't messed with those in years, though.

Sorry I can't help more - if you want a uniform look'n'feel X,
you'll have to pick a particular toolkit and only use applications
written in that.

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>