standardising X

Hallo,
	This is purely an asthetic question, so all coments are welcome. I'd like to standardise
my X Windows, so that they all look and operate the same. I assume this is possible but I don't
know where to start. Here's what I'd like.
gvim looks very nice, it has a nice scroll-bar on the right and decent buttons. The scroll bar may
be moved by either the arrows at the top or bottom or by dragging the scroll-bar itself. (obvious)
xman however has the scroll bar at the left hand side and buttons that are defined by dots. The
scroll-bar can only be moved by repeated left and right mouse button clicking. which is pretty poor
really.
Other things are annoying too such as the fact that some buttons must be kept open by holding the
mouse button down and others stay open themselves. I want to standardise this so that all windows
operate the same way.
So where do I start?

All comments appreciated

*
*      "This job's too hard for us" -Andy and Randy Pig
*