Re: dual boot Linux/NT question

"Damir J. Naden" <dnaden@camelot.debian.org> writes:

> Hi Rakesh Mohan; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
<SNIP>
> > BTW, I can now use lilo for branching to NT and linux, this works fine.
> >
> That is interesting. I was never able to do this. Maybe because my NT
> partition was NTFS..
>
> damir

I just today set my system up to do this - and my WinNT partition is
indeed NTFS.

What I did was make a linux boot floppy, install NT (onto a system
that had had Debian on it for ages), boot linux, and then did:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/boot/ntmbr bs=512 count=1

This saved my NT MBR into a file, which I then reference in my
lilo.conf, and then I re-ran lilo.  For reference, here's my
lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
  label=Linux
  read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
  label=old
  read-only
other=/boot/ntmbr
  label=WinNT
  table=/dev/hda

This isn't ideal (lilo doesn't really start NT, but NT's boot menu),
but it works.

Now, as I've forgotten my NT password, I'm going to have to reinstall
it (unless someone here knows the magical files to erase/modify so I
can change my NT administrator password from Linux) so I'm going to
get to go through this again...