Re: Netscape and $XNLSPATH

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Tres Hofmeister wrote:
> >
> > On 1998.11.05, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> > :
> > : Craig R. Hodges wrote:
> > : >
> > : > I just apt-get dist-upgrade to the latest version of slink.
> > : > When I attempt to run netscape-comm 4.5 I get the following error:
> > : >
> > : > netscape: locale `C' not supported.
> > :
> > : The problem is a broken X package(s).  There is probably a better
> > : solution, but I used an older xbase, the one that is about 2 meg in
> > : size (not the newer one in slink) and extracted (*not* by installing)
> > : just the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale directory.  This ended the problems
> > : with NS.
> >
> >         Hmm, all I had to do on my slink system was:
> >
> > cd /usr/lib/X11
> > ln -s locale.xlib6-old locale
> >
> >         In fact, a diff -r showed the "old" locale directory from a
> > Debian 2.0 system to be identical to the new locale.xlib6-old directory.
> > Thus the link.
> >
> >         Just setting the XNLSPATH environment variable to the old
> > directory didn't work, for some reason.
> >

>         Yes, someone else mentioned 'locale.xlib6-old'.  Unfortunately, for
> whatever reason, I did *not* have this dir in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> (because of symlinks, this is the same as /usr/lib/X11). In fact I ran a
> search for the files in the locale subdir, and didn't find them anywhere
> on my system.  My system began as Debian 2.0 (install) and is updated
> against slink regularly.

On my system the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/ somehow managed to become a
symbolic link to itself (I think or maybe it was just a circular series
of symbolic links).  Which lead to the error message saying that the
level of symbolic links was too deep.  I fixed the problem by removing
the nasty symbolic link /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/ and then reinstalled
xlib6g to get the proper files in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/.