Re: Netscape and $XNLSPATH

Tres Hofmeister wrote:

> On 1998.11.05, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> :
> : Craig R. Hodges wrote:
> : >
> : > I just apt-get dist-upgrade to the latest version of slink.
> : > When I attempt to run netscape-comm 4.5 I get the following error:
> : >
> : > netscape: locale `C' not supported.
> :
> : The problem is a broken X package(s).  There is probably a better
> : solution, but I used an older xbase, the one that is about 2 meg in
> : size (not the newer one in slink) and extracted (*not* by installing)
> : just the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale directory.  This ended the problems
> : with NS.
>
>         Hmm, all I had to do on my slink system was:
>
> cd /usr/lib/X11
> ln -s locale.xlib6-old locale
>
>         In fact, a diff -r showed the "old" locale directory from a
> Debian 2.0 system to be identical to the new locale.xlib6-old directory.
> Thus the link.
>
>         Just setting the XNLSPATH environment variable to the old
> directory didn't work, for some reason.

	Yes, someone else mentioned 'locale.xlib6-old'.  Unfortunately, for
whatever reason, I did *not* have this dir in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
(because of symlinks, this is the same as /usr/lib/X11). In fact I ran a
search for the files in the locale subdir, and didn't find them anywhere
on my system.  My system began as Debian 2.0 (install) and is updated
against slink regularly.

--
Ed C.