Re: PPP Headaches

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Ladd Joseph Epp wrote:

> Hello, I'm a relatively new user to linux, but a very proficient computer user.
>
> Here's the scoop:
>
> I just installed Debian 2.0 on my system and I need to get PPP up and running.  I've been able to connect to my ISP and begin a PPP session (Using pppd and chat on a terminal server, if anyone thinks that it's relevant).  My problem is (I think) that I
cannot get my packets to route. I can sent packets but they do not return to me.  ifconfig shows lo and ppp0 as functioning devices.  I have two entries in 'route -n' for ppp0 -- ppp0 has received both a local and a remote address from the server.  I'm su
re I'm missing a very vital and simple procedure -- could someone tell me what that procedure is?  Help would be much appreciated and additional information about my system is available upon request.
	Although I'm not 100% positive it sounds as though you do not
have a default gateway setup.  Next time you make the connection, remember
the remote address and try this.
route add default gw <remote IP here>
	If that works, then that was your problem :>  I *know* there is a
option to tell pppd to automagically setup the default route for you it's
just been so long since I've used it.  Lemme know how it works, and if you
need more help feel free to email me in private.
			mike...